Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sweet Honey

This summer Monte and I jumped head first into beekeeping. For the last several years we have always had a hive or two, but this summer a dear friend and local beekeeper asked us to take over his bee business as he is no longer able to care for it. We now have 25 active hives and all of the equipment necessary to produce a lot of honey! In July we moved the bees to Panguitch, Utah where they have been working the alfalfa fields and wild flowers for the last few months. We have tended to them from time to time adding new supers (the boxes that hold the honey frames,) as they have needed them. We have been very pleased with their progress over the last several weeks. They have literally been busy little bees. This week we loaded them up and brought them home for the winter. It is honey harvest time now!!



I love the smell of warm beeswax! Monte is uncapping the honey frame to extract the honey by centrifugal force in the honey extractor. This allows us to keep the honey in its raw state. The cappings will eventually be melted down into pure beeswax which we will make into tapered candles for the table. Nothing better than candlelight dinners. We are quite fond of them! After the honey is spun from the cells we simply filter and bottle it, or in the case of our cut comb honey we simply cut it from the frame and place into the containers, literally untouched. The cut comb honey is Montes favorite. He loves the chewiness of the soft wax, especially as it melts over hot biscuits. It is a great treat! (Much to Monte's dismay, I do not have a picture of melting honey over warm biscuits - maybe tomorrow "honey.")

We now have fresh, pure, raw honey available for purchase. We have packaged the honey into 1 pint glass jars with a sliver of cut comb, 1.5 & 3 pound squeeze bottles, or 1 pound cut comb squares. Let us know which you would prefer. Look in your email for prices and availability.






While I have been writing this blog, I have noticed Monte quietly fixing up my candle mold for me. I know he has "better things" he would rather do.
I guess I had better go make some biscuits!

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited! You make me want my own hive.:) Our association doesn't allow bess of course. When I was a young girl living in WA I remember a neighbor keeping bees. We lived in the suburbs and I thought it was so cool. Oh to have the farm life even in the burbs. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just tasted your honey! Soooo yummy! Lots more character than store bought honey. Usually I don't like honey by itself but this tastes like candy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me want hives to. Working my way through your blog. I'm LOVING it.

    ReplyDelete